The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
How Casual/Competitive Are You? (Poll options revised) 

Where are you on here? (Answers are flexible.)
Competitive 4: I believe that competitive play is inherently better than casual play. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Competitive 3: I am firmly a competitive player. I only enjoy a balanced, controlled environment. 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Competitive 2: I am a typical competitive player. I tend not to play with items or other chaotic elements. 46%  46%  [ 36 ]
Competitive 1: I tend to play with tournament rules privately, but will gladly experiment with the more chaotic elements of the game. 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Neutral 0: I have no preference. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Casual 1: I tend to play without rules privately, but will gladly experiment with the deeper parts of the game. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Casual 2: I am a typical Super Smash Bros. player. I prefer using most or all parts of the game, and typically do not pay attention to the inner workings. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Casual 3: I am firmly a casual player. I only enjoy a free, unrestricted environment. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Casual 4: I believe that casual play is inherently better than competitive play. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other: Post to clarify. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 78

How Casual/Competitive Are You? (Poll options revised) 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Here it is; the great wall that divides the Smash community. Which point do you fall on this debate? SSF2 is in a bit of an interesting situation in that it works very hard to appeal to both sides equally, which means we wind up with quite a bit of variety in our playerbase.

I should probably preemptively clarify that skill level has nothing to do with this scale. An international tournament winner can still be a 1 and a six-year-old can still be a 4, for example, so please don't be under the impression that a certain ranking will make you seem better or worse.
Remember: 1 is not beginner. 4 is not expert. If the summaries in the poll options aren't enough, here's summaries of the numbers for both sides;
  • 1 - FLEXIBLE: Plays at the given setting in general, but can and often does deviate when playing with others.
  • 2 - DECIDED: Has formed a general opinion on both playstyles. Still very capable of deviation, but has an outwardly clear preference or focus, even if slight.
  • 3 - ROOTED: Is deeply ingrained in the given setting and does not feel comfortable leaving it, often to the point of feeling that the other side is missing out on a fun experience. It's fine if you're like this, that's just what you enjoy.
  • 4 - EXCLUSIVE: Honestly believes that a given playstyle is inherently superior to another for any given reason; that there's a "right" and "wrong" way to play the game; this includes a belief that a focus in development towards one playstyle is damaging to the other (like, for example, if you believe that time spent programming items and hazards would be better spent on balancing, or time spent on adjusting technical details would be better spent on adding more content, for example). While a volatile path, still an acceptable one if general respect is given to other players.

---

On a personal scale, I consider myself somewhat competitive. High-level play interests me, I find intricate strategy enjoyable (if difficult to personally achieve), and am uncomfortable with a large amount of chaotic elements. However, I am a strong supporter of audiovisual variety between matches and usually, in private matches, set items to Low instead of Off.

Last edited by Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:59 am

MGN Username: MaskedShadow2017
Currently Playing: the game called "the struggle of life."
Waifu: Don't need one.
I'm more of a neutral type when it comes to game play. I always strive to improve my understanding of my metagame but also keep it casual. But I always think quick but careful when it comes to strategic planning while coming up with optimal solutions while facing a critical situation...

Last edited by MaskedShadow on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:49 am

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Do you think you should change some of these descriptions? Most of these sound so negative, like it's written to make you feel guilty of your choice. Anything more than Competitive 2 or Casual 1 makes the person sound like a one-sided douche.

Just because someone "primarily play with unregulated settings," doesn't mean they "find the metagame and the study of it to be uninteresting," as a whole. You can "prefer playing under neutral settings and/or have a strong focus on technical depth over surface details," but still enjoy playing "unregulated settings," at other times.

So describe some things from "I do not enjoy playing without neutral settings... ," and change to, "I prefer/find more enjoyment playing under neutral settings for the strong focus on technical depth."

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:10 pm

totally agree with zalo

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:54 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Auraka wrote:
totally agree with zalo

When does one Disagree with Zalo and still be considered sane?

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:33 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Zalozis wrote:
Do you think you should change some of these descriptions? Most of these sound so negative, like it's written to make you feel guilty of your choice. Anything more than Competitive 2 or Casual 1 makes the person sound like a one-sided douche.

Just because someone "primarily play with unregulated settings," doesn't mean they "find the metagame and the study of it to be uninteresting," as a whole. You can "prefer playing under neutral settings and/or have a strong focus on technical depth over surface details," but still enjoy playing "unregulated settings," at other times.

So describe some things from "I do not enjoy playing without neutral settings... ," and change to, "I prefer/find more enjoyment playing under neutral settings for the strong focus on technical depth."

Iiiii was worried about that. But wasn't entirely sure how to go about it.

...I'm more awake now. I'll get to fixing It a bit.

Thing is, though, 3 is meant for the one-sided. Competitive 3 is for "Why are you so upset that everyone only chooses Fox, he's just a bunch of hitboxes anyway", and Casual 3 is for "this isn't what Smash is about, so much of the game is going to waste"... if not so confrontationally.

What you described is 2. Maybe even 1.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
I consider myself a casual player but i can gladly enjoy a competitive setting with friends.
I'll go with casual 1

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:41 pm

MGN Username: blossom
I just enjoy smash in every format!! neutral 0

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:53 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I'm definitely a Competitive 3, as I just don't enjoy Smash with items and stuff. Whatevs to everyone else playing casual stuff, but I wish that what are really totally different games (casual and competitive) don't cross-pollute each other.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:44 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
Actually kinda surprised that C2 was most popular. I expected most people to be C3. Hell, I suck at this game but I love the competitive depth it has in terms of information and mechanical skill.
I'ma bronze 1 C3 and I'm proud.
gg

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:40 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TzOG C
Currently Playing: SSF2, SSBM, SSBB,
I consider myself a Competitive 2 leaning towards Competitive 1. Most of my matches (more than 90%) are in neutral settings with competitive rules but I love to take a breather and just play FFA while trolling all the same.

"Anyone can KNOW everything, few can LEARN everything." ~Me...hopefully lol

The colors don't represent the character's default colors, rather they represent my chosen colors for them.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:04 pm

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I'm definitely a Competitive 3, as I just don't enjoy Smash with items and stuff. Whatevs to everyone else playing casual stuff, but I wish that what are really totally different games (casual and competitive) don't cross-pollute each other.

jim crow laws up in here

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:09 am

MGN Username: ohgosick
Currently Playing: Anything not called 'Undertale'.
Waifu: ur mum lmao
f*** casuals ruining the game smh

The Americans came in and burned my village with their flaming uppercuts,
killing our water buffalo and leaving this scar on my chest...

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:30 pm

MGN Username: MaskedShadow2017
Currently Playing: the game called "the struggle of life."
Waifu: Don't need one.
Gosick , you know that you used to be a casual player too so quit fussing bra....

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:53 pm

MGN Username: mikael_fernandes
I picked competitive 2.
While i'm not that good at smash,i always pay attention to the metagame of all the games and enjoy more watching people play without shenanigans. As for SF2,i'm starting to learn more about the meta game from it and try to see it's competitive scene more,in order to have a concrete opinion on it.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:53 pm
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next