The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:22 pm

[ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Pichu 

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
Bedoop wrote:
If SSF2 were an entirely 3D game, just like Smash Bros.
I would be fine with these changes, since that's usually what cloning does.
Some animations are different, sure, the taunt is not-the-best but I'm willing to put that aside, among others
But, this is not a 3D Game.
This is SSF2.
A sprite-based game that has shown so much creativity time and time again of characters, movesets and animations all leading up to BETA. In SSF2, you can't exactly get away with cloning that way because each frame has to be made from scratch, re-using animations doesn't fly in this house unless it's completely intentional.

there's Pichu.
When I first saw the splash card for Pichu, during the stream, I was ecstatic. Pichu was one of my favorite characters in Melee just because of how cute and silly he was, and next to his reveal was more Arena Modes which blew me away because I really like Arena Mode and--I'm rambling, back on track.
But then I watched gameplay.
All the unique animations he had in Melee just weren't there, at all.
No little dance for his idle, no waddle for walking, taunts are exactly like Pikachu's...
What happened?
SSF2 has had so much visible fun in it's sprites, winning contenders are definitely ones like :blackmage: (Especially 9b with the old Side Taunt,) :bomberman:, and in BETA :luigi:, :wario: and :luffy: are HUGELY expressive and it's amazing, I love it.
But Pichu is just...
Not Pichu anymore, really.
Yeah, his name is Pichu, looks like Pichu, has new balances and stuff to actually be good,
But what's a character without their, well, character?
Pichu in SSF2 at the SmashCon state was just...
Pikachu. He was Pikachu.
Of course, anything can change, and SSF2 Devs are well aware of fan-related stuff (For better, like Wario's Pummel, or worse, like TSON rambling for 5 years when he doesn't get what we're saying) and I'm certainly hope it does, but
Color me a little bit worried.
Atleast he still sleeps when crouching. :sandbag:

I agree with all of this. Exact same moveset? Saltiness about special moves aside I'm fine with it. But WHY on earth do we get the same taunts and animations?! Pichu is NOT Pikachu! He isn't a skin with balance changes! Sure he's a clone and fights the same but he shouldn't BE the same! He should have different attack animations, taunts and victory animations! Don't take away from the character devs and give us Pichu! (And get rid of the self damaging taunt, it's ridiculous.)

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
melee had one taunt so we have another two to add. just because the one we've added so far was pika's doesn't mean we won't be adding the melee one or a unique one. and he doesn't have a bored animation at all yet so it's just the regular idle lol.
he has his melee moveset with small tweaks... so that's not really a concern there.

so is this about him not having the melee walk anim? lol

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
tson wrote:
melee had one taunt so we have another two to add.

so does a lot of other characters and i've personally been waitin' on those for a long while (And even newcomers to BETA are missing 1 or 2, such as Bandana Dee,) but that isn't the current subject so--
Quote:
and he doesn't have a bored animation at all yet so it's just the regular idle lol.

The regular idle is the dance, TSON.
The regular idle is the dance. His "regular idle" isn't like Pikachu's in Melee, it's just the dance. :chibirobo:
Quote:

this is about him not having a lot of animations, tson

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 pm

tson wrote:
melee had one taunt so we have another two to add. just because the one we've added so far was pika's doesn't mean we won't be adding the melee one or a unique one. and he doesn't have a bored animation at all yet so it's just the regular idle lol.
he has his melee moveset with small tweaks... so that's not really a concern there.

Just want to throw this out here...Pichu technically had TWO taunts in Melee (the fetal position one when facing right, and the hopping one when facing left), or is that a bit of hassle to add?

(For the record, I'm not asking that last part to sound condescending. I really am wondering if you would consider that would be extra work that you devs don't need.)

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 pm

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
pichu being added is extra work the devs didn't need >.> devs should have spent more time focusing on all the wrongdoings in beta, such as balance, and bad platform physics.

Now with the salt out of the way; I expect Pichu's self harm moves to be very potent at what they are designed for, but still leaving room for the non-selfdamaging moves to be useful is most situations, mostly for mixups.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm

MGN Username: SheriffSteelFlex
Currently Playing: SSB3DS
...fortunately, Pichu isn't done yet and stuff

3ds FC: 0190-2959-0577
Cloud is not 3rd 2nd okey

30xx wrote:
I'm not reading all that but it looks like you have a severe case of nerd

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:57 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
Did they seriously not add Pichu in 1.0.3? Or is he just unlockable?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Ravin_Raven wrote:
Did they seriously not add Pichu in 1.0.3? Or is he just unlockable?

They wanted to rush this update out ASAP on the account of Lloyd Lag (Which didn't really seem to get fixed much, anyway)
Pichu is reserved for future patches :sandbag:

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Say, I'm curious. When Pichu is added in the future, will you devs be listing the changes made to him from Melee to SSF2 in the corresponding Changelog for the aforementioned future patch?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:34 pm

dragonballhero wrote:
Say, I'm curious. When Pichu is added in the future, will you devs be listing the changes made to him from Melee to SSF2 in the corresponding Changelog for the aforementioned future patch?

Considering Yoshi/Tails not getting any of that (Yoshi was just "Resprited!" and everything changed (Like Up B and stuff) for Tails was just listed as "New!") even though they really should've--especially Yoshi
I wouldn't think so :chibirobo:

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:02 am

Bedoop wrote:
dragonballhero wrote:

Considering Yoshi/Tails not getting any of that (Yoshi was just "Resprited!" and everything changed (Like Up B and stuff) for Tails was just listed as "New!") even though they really should've--especially Yoshi
I wouldn't think so :chibirobo:

Well...to be fair, Yoshi literally ONLY a got re-sprite (A freakin' beautiful one, I might add), and Tails isn't playable in the official Smash games anyways.

Pichu, on the other hand, has only been in one official Smash game (unlike Yoshi, who has been playable in EVERY single official Smash game since the very first one on N64), and let's be honest, Pichu wasn't exactly universally beloved in Melee. That being said, I figured the devs might want to list the changes to him from Melee to SSF2 to help "push promotion" for the little guy. For the most part, people seem to have gotten used to the idea of the little guy being playable in SSF2, but there still appears to be some adamant hold-outs from what I've seen.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:09 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
a ton of the changes will be from engine differences so i dont think it would be worth our time, plus the numbers aren't 1:1

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 pm

tson wrote:
a ton of the changes will be from engine differences so i dont think it would be worth our time, plus the numbers aren't 1:1

Um, could you clarify that, please? I mean how Pichu supposedly won't be "1:1".

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:43 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I think what TSON was moreso talking about is that SSF2's engine and Smash's engines aren't 1:1 and this, in addittion to our different artstyle and our animations always having much less frames, means that no attack from the official titles is ported 1:1.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:12 am

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
This topic can be danced around all day(which is what is going on), or it can be answered bluntly. ie; ssf2 X attack does 53% more damage and lower KB in general than Melee X attack.
or even the answer TSON *should* probably have given; We are not allowed to discuss future content in detail. Pichu is due to be released and that is all you will be allowed to know for the time being.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:23 pm
 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next