Important Notice: The McLeodGaming forums will be permanently closed and archived on April 30th, 2020.
Click here for additional info.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 am



Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Top 10 Most Technical Players? 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 am
Posts: 2796
Location: Los Angeles & San Luis Obispo, California
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: TAC3
Skype: Trey_Cahalan
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
Reply with quote
it's harder to play falcon online than offline imo
and people benefit from online mode by playing character that excel online because of the conditions.

tbh at this point, every thread I see about top players and whatnot is completely void of me being on it and I agree (and prefer it that way)
these lists are built off of the current standard of playing (which is online mode) and I'll be the first person to say that I suck online compared to offline. it completely destroys how I play.
additionally, I can't even play online mode for 80% of the year because my university's wifi prevents P2P from working, and doesn't allow me to play online in acceptable conditions.

so yea, I'd never put myself on a top players list for online mode (which is safe to assume that this is what it is considering no one here has results offline)
but I disagree with Zalozis. I don't think he has enough data to actually prove that I'd be void of a top ten position in general (he's talking about offline and online play as a whole). my offline results are completely contrasting with my online results (and I'd consider myself a primarily offline player because I largely practice offline, like ~97% of my practice is offline)

now on the topic of online mode players performing better offline... I 100% disagree. In theory, it makes sense, but in actuality it doesn't. a large majority of the online community (like 90%) only does well online because the way they play is greatly benefited from how online play hinders the actual offline skill. so they'll play less combo oriented and more chip-away oriented. They'll also rely more on the fact that their character performs better in the online latency than someone else's character does. I can easily pick a character that benefits from the latency, actually practice with that character an build it up to a main-standard, and then perform just as well; but I don't because it'd be holding me back in progress offline.

tl;dr I do consider myself a top ten player, but I'd prefer not being on any of these lists because they're inconsistent and largely inaccurate


Sun May 10, 2015 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
BR Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:14 pm
Posts: 2075
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Anime Girl
Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Reply with quote
I'll add that for some types of combos (DK's, Fox's, Puff's, BM's, Yoshi's, etc.), online is a hindrance but an easily surmountable one, because for many of these characters you don't have to react to DI as much if you're good at tech-reading and you can essentially do similar combos over and over again. However, some characters (Falcon in particular, Mario, Marth, Sora, etc.) have combos that require DI reactions/reads to be effective. Falcon, for example, has very few guaranteed combos besides chaingrabs and fthrow stuff, and requires good reactions, something which online makes extremely difficult. So to add precision to TAC3's post, it isn't just that online is less combo-oriented and more chip-oriented (one reason why I think MK dominates), although that's true. It's also that some characters get huge nerfs to their combo game (or become much harder to execute), while some characters stay nearly the same. A Fox player can practice nair -> shine -> bair a million times and it will work with the correct setup nearly all of the time online without problems. But a Falcon player has to react to DI on uthrow or dthrow to get the crucial aerial combos that he needs to finish stocks, and they can't just practice that a million times: they need to read DI or have nearly frame-perfect reactions, because by the time you see your opponent's DI you've already wasted 4 or 5 crucial frames.

_________________
Image

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:


Sun May 10, 2015 5:26 pm
Profile
BR Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:08 am
Posts: 888
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Jammy
Reply with quote
can I also say that this is why dthrow knee is so bad in this game
cause you have to make a 50:50 read to get it, whereas offline you would be able to react with enough practise

_________________
:captainfalcon:

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Image


Sun May 10, 2015 6:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:46 pm
Posts: 1514
Location: Westchester, New York
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Skype: ZaloZemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Reply with quote
TacThree wrote:
now on the topic of online mode players performing better offline... I 100% disagree. In theory, it makes sense, but in actuality it doesn't. a large majority of the online community (like 90%) only does well online because the way they play is greatly benefited from how online play hinders the actual offline skill.
We all know that's obvious. I'm talking about the top players online in particular, have relevant experience that they would have no problem applying in an offline setting. Performance my even slightly increase or slightly decrease because of how execution may vary. But knowledge of fundamentals and understanding of the how the game works would still carry over online to offline and vice-versa.

I, to, hate how I can't utilize my mains online; I've been playing the offline for 4-5 years before v0.9b. That's why I stick to secondaries as they're easier to perform with in the online environment.

_________________

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"


Sun May 10, 2015 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:45 pm
Posts: 250
Location: Not Earth
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Kyoz
Currently Playing: SSF2, SSBB, ProjectM, SSB4
Reply with quote
I have an idea, I should change the title to Top 10 Most technical players.

_________________
Image
Profile Theme Song
★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . .  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . ....somewhere   ° ☾ °  ¸. ● ¸ .  ★ ° :.  . • ° .*:...in a parallel universe..
Mains: :zerosuitsamus: :yoshi: :peach:


Sun May 10, 2015 6:43 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 pm
Posts: 469
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Gender: Anime Girl
MGN Username: ohgosick
Skype: uberoo1
Currently Playing: Anything not called 'Undertale'.
Waifu: ur mum lmao
Reply with quote
most technical?

1.DS
2.SS
3.Kylos

idfk, i'll get back to this l8r

_________________
Image

The Americans came in and burned my village with their flaming uppercuts,
killing our water buffalo and leaving this scar on my chest...


Mon May 11, 2015 6:09 am
Profile
BR Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Geographic South Pole, Amundsen-Scott Station, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica (aq)
Gender: N/A
MGN Username: Doq
Skype: Discord my guy.
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
Reply with quote
Most technical player is me. I just haven't been able to use it effectively.
Kappa

_________________
ripping on stream design since 2014


Mon May 11, 2015 11:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
BR Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:10 pm
Posts: 1078
Location: joey
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: joey
Skype: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
Reply with quote
Doqtor Kirby wrote:
Most technical player is me. I just haven't been able to use it effectively.
Kappa

Arcade stick master race

_________________
Image


Mon May 11, 2015 12:05 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 730
Location: Nopeville
Country: Belgium (be)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Lunary
Skype: naruraptor
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
Reply with quote
look who made that new attention w***e topic, how surprising.
__________
I think the 3 most technical players are DS , SS and Kylos (ironically enough , they are also the 3 best players, imo).
Maybe it's because they main Fox. Thus their techskill level is easier to realize.
You could say every GOOD Fox player is technical. (Reimu , Envy , Sekanor , ...)
It's like that if you consider Tails a char with lots of techs. So RemPrower or Chaos0 would/should be in that list too.
__________
What are the criteria to nominate someone as technical?

_________________
~ LunarySSF2 ~
Tournament Legend
left SSF2 for Melee until he dies


Wed May 13, 2015 10:17 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 am
Posts: 2796
Location: Los Angeles & San Luis Obispo, California
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: TAC3
Skype: Trey_Cahalan
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
Reply with quote
Lunary wrote:
What are the criteria to nominate someone as technical?

you have to main ZSS (the vanilla skin) and be named something memorable, yet simple, like "Kyoz"


Wed May 13, 2015 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
BR Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:10 pm
Posts: 1078
Location: joey
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: joey
Skype: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
Reply with quote
Sounds legit Tac.

_________________
Image


Wed May 13, 2015 3:37 pm
Profile
SSF2 Developer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:47 pm
Posts: 2316
Location: BC
Country: Canada (ca)
Gender: Male
Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Reply with quote
I feel like technical skill isn't actually how much you can do, it's more like a ratio between how much you can do and how consistently you can apply it to win.

_________________
Men that are trapped by the chains of "maybe" can never reach their dreams!
The weak are washed away by the tides of fate. The strong drink it up.
No matter the man, we all wear masks. Whether it be over our faces or over our hearts.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail


Wed May 13, 2015 5:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 am
Posts: 327
Location: Try and guess. .-.
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: DescendedSun
Skype: DescendedSun
Currently Playing: SSF2
Reply with quote
Phoenix Wright wrote:
I feel like technical skill isn't actually how much you can do, it's more like a ratio between how much you can do and how consistently you can apply it to win.


Yes, something like that.

_________________
Image

Youtube

Latest video!
CPU Battles!
YouTube Video:


Support my songs! Soundcloud

MG: Descended_sun - YT:Powerofzarak/DescendedSun - MGN: Descendedsun


Tue May 19, 2015 9:16 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 pm
Posts: 530
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
Reply with quote
I'm hella basic online.

_________________
Image

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?


Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 730
Location: Nopeville
Country: Belgium (be)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Lunary
Skype: naruraptor
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
Reply with quote
RemPrower wrote:
I'm hella basic online.

That's very interesting.

_________________
~ LunarySSF2 ~
Tournament Legend
left SSF2 for Melee until he dies


Tue May 19, 2015 5:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.