View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm



Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Cherry's Sprites. (previously known as Droe) hello! 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 116
Location: SoCal
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Droe747
Currently Playing: Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Ultimate sometimes.
Reply with quote
Go to the more recent posts <3

_________________
One through two.
Less than three
1-2
<3


Last edited by Cherry on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:23 am, edited 14 times in total.



Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:56 am
Profile
SSF2 Developer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 7240
Country: Netherlands (nl)
Gender: Male
Waifu: ElvisDitto
Reply with quote
Droe wrote:
Idk if this is allowed but an edit for Steven (Aka Damian) his profile pic and I animated it
if you don't like it I will take it down immediately :oops:
[ Image ]



Haha don't worry I like it a lot, it's a very nice gift. In general I like it when rad dudes come to the Spriters Corner to sprite because it's cool to make sprites together, so I don't mind if the people of this site use any of the work in my topic as reference or as a starting point or the like.

I can see that you are pretty good with outlines, and that you use this well to accurately recreate motions and poses. One piece of advice I'd like to give you is to play with the contrast between colours, especially for a character like Toon Link. More difference between the shades will give the sprites more depth and can make certain details stand out. When shading, also think about where the light comes from, and unify this throughout the sprite. If we look at your Screen KO Toon Links boots for example, we can see that the lightest shade (which indicate where the light comes from) is different.

We have a Tutorial Platform topic on this site with some lnks to some juicy sprite tutorials that you could check out to make your cool sprites even cooler.

You have a lot of promise, so I'll be sure to check your topic whenever you update, I'll be looking forward to it.

_________________
ImageImageImage

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)


Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:40 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:03 pm
Posts: 882
Country: Argentina (ar)
MGN Username: Lisnovski1
Skype: lisnovski1
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2 Beta
Waifu: Myself
Reply with quote
Welcome to the Spritrer's Corner

As I Told you before (on dA) your Screen KO Toon Link looks too Polygonal.

3DS Version?

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:55 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Very good, with some practice you'll become a pretty great spriter!


Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 pm
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 am
Posts: 899
Location: drowning in pixels and waifus
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Detta
Waifu: Zinnia
Reply with quote
Step one to becoming a better spriter: stop tracing Smash4, lol.

Also, you posted the resized dA version of the stage so it's kinda blurry. Might want to post the full size.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 pm
Posts: 6045
Location: Leafless Canada
Country: Peru (pe)
Gender: Male
Skype: Kirb-Star
Currently Playing: old pc games cause I can't afford buying games from steam :[]
Waifu: trent reznor
Reply with quote
Welcome.
Looks good, I can't add much 'cause I'm not an expert.

_________________


Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 1583
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Anime Girl
MGN Username: TheRealHeroOfWinds
Skype: TheRealHeroOfWinds
Reply with quote
DettaDoodle wrote:
Step one to becoming a better spriter: stop tracing Smash4, lol.

Also, you posted the resized dA version of the stage so it's kinda blurry. Might want to post the full size.

This comment is very true.

Anyone can trace, absolutely anybody, but it's nice to see actual custom content from some people. Take Clubby and Detta for example. They have some great custom content you could learn from.

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage


Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 pm
Posts: 1787
Location: Drawing for grades!
Country: Sri Lanka (lk)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Skype: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Currently Playing: The game of Life
Waifu: Beruka from Fates
Reply with quote
TheRealHeroOfX-Mas wrote:
DettaDoodle wrote:
Step one to becoming a better spriter: stop tracing Smash4, lol.

Also, you posted the resized dA version of the stage so it's kinda blurry. Might want to post the full size.

This comment is very true.

Anyone can trace, absolutely anybody, but it's nice to see actual custom content from some people. Take Clubby and Detta for example. They have some great custom content you could learn from.


Adding on to this, look at some tutorials as well. There are plenty of them everywhere and some of them are posted here. Tracing is good stepping stone, although I never started out tracing, but you shouldn't rely on it. Editing sprites are a better practice because you see how the sprite works and the foundation of the sprite, but like tracing, you shouldn't rely on it often. Good luck in your spriting endeavors. ^^

_________________
Link to my Sprite Stream. Schedule will return soon...


Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:49 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
TheRealHeroOfX-Mas wrote:
This comment is very true.

Anyone can trace, absolutely anybody, but it's nice to see actual custom content from some people. Take Clubby and Detta for example. They have some great custom content you could learn from.

To be honest, the best way to learn is asking for critique, and using it to improve. Even if it's pretty harsh, in the end you should be able to use it to improve.

I'm not the greatest, so I'd say check out Steven's work instead, although it seems you have; Steven has a very good way of expressing details without using many colors.

Detta's also a good reference, he has a clean style, but gets to the point with the sprite.


Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:27 pm
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:41 am
Posts: 1895
Location: In a candy coated heart of darkness. (free hugs!)
Country: United States (us)
Reply with quote
Throwing in my two cents, here.

I started my spriter history with customs, and I'm not going to lie, on average they were terrible, and at best, they were terrible. Pretty quickly I started editing JUS sprites, because that was the thing to do back then. And even though that improved the quality of what I was doing a lot, it was a unhealthy crutch. I tried to do customs again, but they were still sub-par, so I got the idea of taking JUS sprites and drawing a basic skeleton over them, erasing the rest then drawing custom stuff over it. That's when I really fell into my own as a spriter, and soon enough I didn't need any help with skeletons. I could draw my own skeletons, and draw over them, and truly make good looking custom stuff.

So what I'm getting at is there isn't a universal jumping point for a beginning spriter. All I know is the more you lean to doing everything as custom as possible the better you can get, and the faster you can get there. Currently though you're at the tracing end, which is literally the opposite. My advice is to stop cold turkey, start again at pure custom, then, if pure custom is just something you can't do, progress to editing/drawing over bases/etc, in steps until you find one that works with you, then start going back down the scale to pure custom, and before you know it (seriously, I'd wager within a year) you'll be making completely custom, really good looking stuff.

Remember to post each step of the way to a good group for critique though, no matter how you feel about your progress. Help is always helpful.

Anyways, back to my hole.

_________________
When my eyes be rollin'
The haters get goin'
The seeds I'm sowin'
With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'


Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:31 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 116
Location: SoCal
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Droe747
Currently Playing: Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Ultimate sometimes.
Reply with quote
Deciton_Reven wrote:
All I know is the more you lean to doing everything as custom as possible the better you can get, and the faster you can get there. Currently though you're at the tracing end, which is literally the opposite.

Sage wrote:
TheRealHeroOfX-Mas wrote:
DettaDoodle wrote:
Step one to becoming a better spriter: stop tracing Smash4, lol.


This comment is very true.

Anyone can trace, absolutely anybody, but it's nice to see actual custom content from some people. Take Clubby and Detta for example. They have some great custom content you could learn from.


Adding on to this, look at some tutorials as well. There are plenty of them everywhere and some of them are posted here. Tracing is good stepping stone, although I never started out tracing, but you shouldn't rely on it. Editing sprites are a better practice because you see how the sprite works and the foundation of the sprite, but like tracing, you shouldn't rely on it often. Good luck in your spriting endeavors. ^^

Ok, I tried making a 100% Custom NO tracing NO Edits sprite animation Image
DettaDoodle wrote:
Also, you posted the resized dA version of the stage so it's kinda blurry. Might want to post the full size.

Here ya go: Image
I was also working on a game & watch
Image

_________________
One through two.
Less than three
1-2
<3


Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:16 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 116
Location: SoCal
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Droe747
Currently Playing: Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Ultimate sometimes.
Reply with quote
Steven wrote:
Droe wrote:
Idk if this is allowed but an edit for Steven (Aka Damian) his profile pic and I animated it
if you don't like it I will take it down immediately :oops:
[ Image ]



Haha don't worry I like it a lot, it's a very nice gift. In general I like it when rad dudes come to the Spriters Corner to sprite because it's cool to make sprites together, so I don't mind if the people of this site use any of the work in my topic as reference or as a starting point or the like.

I can see that you are pretty good with outlines, and that you use this well to accurately recreate motions and poses. One piece of advice I'd like to give you is to play with the contrast between colours, especially for a character like Toon Link. More difference between the shades will give the sprites more depth and can make certain details stand out. When shading, also think about where the light comes from, and unify this throughout the sprite. If we look at your Screen KO Toon Links boots for example, we can see that the lightest shade (which indicate where the light comes from) is different.

We have a Tutorial Platform topic on this site with some lnks to some juicy sprite tutorials that you could check out to make your cool sprites even cooler.

You have a lot of promise, so I'll be sure to check your topic whenever you update, I'll be looking forward to it.

Thanks! for the help and info. :D

_________________
One through two.
Less than three
1-2
<3


Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:33 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 116
Location: SoCal
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Droe747
Currently Playing: Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Ultimate sometimes.
Reply with quote
HI! (oh its droe.. the tracer) fine i'll work on a custom sprite then..
1 month later (22 days estimate)
I'M BACK (no-one cares) :( I have started a little project! called... Bloop!
I know it's been 22 days (estimate) since my last post, sorry I have been Tortured caught up with school
I have most animations for Blob (er.. Goop? I have no idea what his name is..) and I summed it ALL up in one Gif.
the thing is the Gif is exactly 179 frames and the gif creator I use is http://gifmaker.me/ and it ONLY accepts 100 frames :(
so I need help from you guys. Please?, I need another way to make gifs. (p.s. I don't have Photoshop of ANY kind the only paint software I have is Paint.net)
(I don't wanna quit spriting.. it's fun... even though mine sucks)

BTW HERE'S THE SHEET (I figured you guys would probably wanna see the sheet)
Image

_________________
One through two.
Less than three
1-2
<3


Last edited by Cherry on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 pm
Posts: 1787
Location: Drawing for grades!
Country: Sri Lanka (lk)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Skype: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Currently Playing: The game of Life
Waifu: Beruka from Fates
Reply with quote
Spriting gaps suck, but real life always comes first, so we understand. Don't beat yourself up about it. ^^

Don't discourage yourself because you trace. A lot of good spriters that I know usually started out tracing, though they grew out of it, only using it when doing a style change AFAIK.

I honestly don't have anything to comment on the new custom that you made, other than it's rather... Simple. Simplicity is a two edged sword sometimes, however. Don't take it harshly; I really don't mean any harm when I say that.

I can provide some suggestions though, but I'll need your permission to ask some questions, it that's ok.

_________________
Link to my Sprite Stream. Schedule will return soon...


Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:42 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 116
Location: SoCal
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Male
MGN Username: Droe747
Currently Playing: Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Ultimate sometimes.
Reply with quote
Sage wrote:
I can provide some suggestions though, but I'll need your permission to ask some questions, it that's ok.
of Course. yes.

_________________
One through two.
Less than three
1-2
<3


Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:45 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.